1. Your skin may never be perfect, and that’s okay.
2. Life is too short not to have the underwear, the coffee, and the haircut you want.
3. Everyone (including your family, your coworkers, and your best friend) will talk about you behind your back, and you’ll talk about them too. It doesn’t mean you don’t love each other.
4. It’s okay to spend money on things that make you happy.
5. Sometimes without fault or reason, relationships deteriorate. It will happen when you’re six, it will happen when you’re sixty. That’s life.
You laughed at the way I
Clumsily picked at the strings—
I was so gone from the whiskey
Kicking my socks off mid-song
Slurring the chorus into
My verses, I’m a wreck
But you love it that way, don’t you—
You lay, wrapped in silk
Clothes, and you, spread across the floor
It’s as if a washing machine exploded
Painting everything in plaids, stripes, solids
My hands are rusty, my eyes blurry,
But I’ll lead you to bed, if you wanted
Yet I can’t move, as if I was transfixed
By the confusion and drunkenness of it all
And I feel as if I’m gliding
But you have me across your back
Dragging me soundlessly into the bedroom
I’ll be sound sleep even
Before I hit the pillow
Pulling slow, drawn out breaths
If only you’d stay until the morning time—
You’d be perfect